Thursday, January 20, 2022

Ministry in the Netherlands: An Interview with Jacques Brunt

Greetings, Brethren, in the Name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Recently I had the opportunity to do a written interview with Brother Jacques Brunt, serving Christ in the Netherlands. Brother Jacques is supported by HeartCry Missionary Society. Please take a few minutes to read of the Lord's work in our brother Jacques' area of the world, to be informed about the spiritual state of the Netherlands, and to learn specific ways you can be praying for our brother and his family. 
The Brunt Family


Thank you so much, Brother Jacques for taking the time to do this interview with me. This interview has been translated with DeepL, to translate between English and Dutch. For those interested in the Dutch version of this post, that can be viewed here: https://katakalypto.blogspot.com/2022/01/ministerie-in-nederland-een-gesprek-met.html

V. C: "Tell us a little about your family."
Brother Jacques: "In 2004 I got married to Annette. What is special is that we were in each other's class in elementary school. Later we met again and eventually we got married. Meanwhile we have received four sons of the Lord; Levi (16), Boaz (13), Jesse (10) and Juda (4). Together with our children we want to make our lives completely available to Him, Who loved us and gave Himself up for us (Rom. 8:32). Last year in November our oldest son was baptized."

V. C: "How did you start in full-time ministry?"
Brother Jacques: "It was in the summer of 2000 that - after about four years of conviction of sin and seeking peace with God - the Lord Jesus was revealed to me as my personal Savior and Blessed One. Something I had perceived as an impossibility became a reality: peace with God through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. Then He worked in me a spiritual hunger, which was and is only to be satisfied with His Son, Jesus Christ. Therefore, I reached out daily to learn Him more deeply (Philippians 3:10). At the same time, desire pervaded my soul, as expressed in an old song, "Lord, take me, break me, fill me, send me.

This desire became a calling that the Lord fulfilled ten years after my conversion. This began with a speaking engagement at a youth conference. Within a short time I received several invitations to preach. I did this next to my job as a real estate agent. The number of speaking engagements increased so much that Annette and I decided that I would work less. The spiritual work grew and grew. The Lord fulfilled my calling, confirmed that calling, and provided finances. All did not happen suddenly, but gradually. Step by step. We prayed for the Lord to open doors for full-time ministry as the work continued to grow.

During this period, the financial crisis hit our real estate office, necessitating drastic measures. One of those measures was that I lost my job (April 2013). This development - although a trial - we have experienced as an intervention of God to set us free for a full-time faith ministry. The prophecy about the Lord Jesus from Isaiah 42:1A spoke to us (June 2013), "Behold, My Servant, Whom I support... We were allowed to apply this text to ourselves and both received boldness to make the step to faith ministry. And thus God's calling took concrete shape."

V. C: "As you serve full time in the Netherlands, what ministry are you involved in and what does that look like?"
Brother Jacques: "The work of our ministry consists mainly of teaching the Bible. I am allowed to do that in our church in Alblasserdam where I am also active as an elder. Besides that I travel throughout the Netherlands and Belgium to give Bible teaching. I am also involved in HeartCry Nederland as a board member. From there my connection with HeartCry Missionary came. I also lead study and group trips to Switzerland and Israel."

V. C: "What is the biggest challenge facing the Church in the Netherlands?"
Brother Jacques: "The greatest challenge for the church in the Netherlands is to remain faithful to the Word of God. The spirit of the times has influenced the church. We face the challenge to hold on to God's principles. These are under pressure in the Netherlands."

V. C: "What is the spiritual condition in the Netherlands?" 
Brother Jacques: "The spiritual condition can be described as lukewarm. The church has become conformed to the world and its system of life. We need the Lord to visit our country and humble our people before Him. At the same time, there is also in the Netherlands a faithful part (remnant) that lives devotedly. There are many places where the Word of God is preached in faithfulness and people are equipped for service (Ephesians 4:12)."

V. C: "In what ways have you seen God working in the Netherlands?"
Brother Jacques: "In different ways. I myself have been involved in the HeartCry movement from the beginning. Around the year 2002 we experienced a revival. We experienced conferences where the presence of the Lord was very clearly felt. Many young people came to faith and conversion. Many of them are now serving in the Kingdom of God in the Netherlands and abroad. Entire families devoted themselves to the Lord. Meanwhile, two Bible schools have arisen from this, where I also teach."

V. C: "How have you seen God working in your life, and the in the lives of your believing family members?"
Brother Jacques: "I have already said something about this in the answer to question 2. For a more comprehensive testimony, I would like to refer to the following link."
 https://heartcrymissionary.com/testimony/jacques-brunt/

V. C: "In the great commission, we are commanded to make disciples of all nations. How does this look practically in your area of ministry?"
Brother Jacques: "We read in Matthew 28:19 'Go therefore, teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.' Two words stand out and form the core of our ministry; teaching and learning. Based on the Bible, I believe that Bible teaching renews our thinking. As you think, so you live. Therefore, Bible teaching is one of the most fundamental aspects of discipleship or the great commission."

V. C: "What are the challenges and blessings you experience being in full-time ministry?"
Brother Jacques: "The blessing is that I get to be busy daily investing spiritually in people. This investment has value for all eternity. That is a tremendous blessing. We have a message of Hope in a dark time. The best message; Jesus Christ, and Him crucified (1 Corinthians 2:2). In addition, in the midst of a young family and the many labors of our ministry, it is a challenge to keep our personal relationship with the Lord number one. We can be busy with anything and everything, but we are called first and foremost to the fellowship of the Son Jesus Christ, our Lord (1 Corinthians 1:9)."

V. C: "What biblical principles or passages of Scripture has the Lord brought to mind at various times that have drawn you closer to Christ, challenged, or blessed you through your years of ministry?
Brother Jacques: "That's a great question. Two Bible verses have spoken strongly to my heart over the years.

When it comes to God's desire for my life and the process that is taking place in me: Romans 8:29 "For those whom He has known beforehand, He has also predestined beforehand to be conformed to the image of His Son.

Sometimes when I am struggling and Satan wants to discourage me, God often spoke to me from Hebrews 2:8b-9a 'Now we do not yet see that all things are subject to Him, but we see Jesus crowned with glory and honor'.

The Lord Jesus is on the throne and is absolutely in control no matter what happens!"

V. C: "How do you prioritize your time in full-time ministry so that you maintain a balance in washing your wife with the water of the Word, bringing up your children in the fear and admonition of the Lord, making disciples, and building up the saints?"
Brother Jacques: "As you can read in the previous answers and also below, it is a great danger / pitfall if there is not a good balance between the topics mentioned. I have become more strict when it comes to filling out my schedule. I am first and foremost a husband and father, so I try very consciously to spend a lot of time with our family. Not only is it important, but it also brings a lot of joy. In addition, I am very grateful for my wife who is very dedicated to our family. After we had children, she stopped paid work. She is there full time for our family. That gives a lot of peace. She has told all the children a lot from the Bible from an early age and taught Bible verses to them. We also talk a lot with our children about the Gospel and my wife and I bring them to the Lord in prayer daily. What is especially important is that as parents we set the right example. With that, I have answered your question. I realize there is much more to be said about it."

V. C: "How can people be praying for you?" 
Brother Jacques: "In the work we do, we are on the front lines of the spiritual battle that is going on in this world. Therefore we consider the ministry of prayer and intercession to be of utmost importance and we want to give it priority. We cannot do without the prayers of brothers and sisters who stand behind us. Therefore, we would greatly appreciate it if you and yours would remember our ministry in your prayers. Important points are:

Family (love, unity and protection)

Bible teaching (right emphasis in these times)

Elder/elder (wisdom and courage to make right decisions)

Priorities (the right balance between relationship with the Lord, family and ministry)

Needs (that the Lord will provide for all our needs)"

V. C: "Do you have any final thoughts you would like to share with your brothers and sisters in Christ?"
Brother Jacques: "In closing, I would like to pass on the words of Jesus from John 16:33 'These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation, but have good courage: I have overcome the world.'"

Thank you so much, Brother Jaques, for doing this interview with me. 

Dear readers, please be encouraged by the Lord's work through His people, among the nations, and commit yourselves to come before the Throne of Grace, praying that God will continue to advance His Kingdom around the world. May the Lamb Who was slain receive the full reward of His suffering and may the Name of God be great among the nations. 

Please take some time to pray for our Brother Jacques and his family. 

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with His saints.
In Christ,
Virginia

No comments:

Post a Comment