Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Hi everyone.
So I said I would try to write a post about why my family wears head coverings. So here it is.
 1 Corinthians 11:2-16 is one of the passages that talks about wives wearing  head coverings. The greek word gune could be translated to say woman or wife depending on the context. I think it safe to say that this text applies at least to married women and may apply to non married women as well.

 In our family we feel that, even if my sister and I do not have to wear head coverings it will be good practice for us. So that when we do get married we do not have to change our practice it will just be part of our life.

  According to 1 Corinthians 11, the head of every man is Christ ,the head of every women is man and the head of Christ is God. The bible also says that a women's hair is her glory. When a man's head is uncovered he is displaying the glory of God.When the head of a woman is uncovered she is displaying the glory of man. Since we were created to glorify God we should not be showing the glory of man but the glory of God. Therefore a wife should cover her head.

 According to 1 Thessalonians 5:17 we should always be in an attitude of prayer. If 1 Corinthians 11 says that a wife should cover her head whenever she is praying or prophesying; Shouldn't wives cover their heads all the time? In my family, Mommy, my sister, and I wear our head covers most of time. There are some times when we forget to put them on in the morning or something like that, but if you see recent pictures of my family us girls will probably be wearing head covers. (except for the baby.)

In 1 Corinthians 11 it also says that if a wife will not cover her head then she should cut her hair short. But it also says that it is a shame for a woman to have short hair. If a women has long hair it is a glory to her. It seems like God is trying to tell wives to cover their heads. In my family all of us girls have long hair, and all the boys have short hair.

Some of you may have realized that in verse 15 of 1 Corinthians 11 it says that "her hair is given to her for a covering." The greek word translated here as "covering" is different than the word translated as "covering" in the verses before. (One of these greek words is katakalypto hence the web address of this blog.) the word translated "covering" in verses 2-14 means veil. If it Meant hair, than does that mean that all men have to be bald when praying or prophesying according to this passage? It does not make sense if the hair of women is her covering.

I hope this serves as a way of explanation as to my the girls in my family wear head coverings. Please leave a comment and let me know what you think of this post.

I would like to ask for prayers for Buddy Davis. He works for "Answers In Genesis." He will be having heart surgery on Thursday and I am sure he would appreciate prayers. Please pray also for persecuted Christians all around the world. Pray that God will comfort them and their families as they face persecution. Pray also for those who are persecuting Christians. Pray that God will draw them to Himself and that they will turn from their evil ways and turn to God, the only one that can save them from their sins.


With love in the LORD,
Virginia







No comments:

Post a Comment